Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks

Saturday, November 16, 2013

M.I Abaga The chairman: His Burning Desire For Greatness


With two successful albums, several mix-tapes, multiple awards, creative collaborations under his belt and his latest skit as part of the trio of prestigious judges on the recently concluded Glo Xfactor, MI Abaga speaks to ESSENTIALS about his forth-coming album and his burning desire for greatness.

Since the release of your first album, Mr Incredible, you have been churning out hit after hit. What do you reckon is your distinctive quality, especially in Nigeria’s highly competitive music industry?

I think it’s that fire, that burning desire within me to keep bringing good stuff. For a music-lover like me, there’s the hunger to always offer more music to the world. Now, when a hit is made, it is the determination and hard work put in – not just to bring about a song – that makes it a masterpiece in its own way. But, of course, none of this would be possible without God who is the strength, unrelenting spirit and the ultimate gift.

What do you think of being described as a ‘rap icon’?
 Oh, I am (laughs)? A rap icon. I think that’s a privilege to start with; it’s an honour to be so termed. Again, I would think it is fitting, because rap is an art that I proudly represent. I eat, live, breath, sleep and love rap. Best of all, my very existence has come to epitomise it. So, looking from that perspective, the ‘icon’ thing is a description I’ll gladly embrace.

The business of music, now more than ever, is a serious part of the industry in Nigeria. With your position as the vice president of Chocolate City, how do you hope to diversify in future?

Besides what I do with Choc City, I also have Loopy Music, my own label. So, as far as diversification is concerned, we’ll just keep watching as we push harder and harder to go past the limits.

 What are the tools required to be a highly successful rapper just as yourself?

First off, God has to be behind you; because success as a rapper, or even in anything in the world, doesn’t come until it is approved by God. But then, on the part of the rapper, it’s about the best method and manner in which to deliver your message, and achieve whatever dreams you set out. It involves a whole lot of work and research; the kind required for pursuing a college degree.
Also, you must understand the industry you are in, in order to strategise properly. Presently, the industry is too advanced for one to just show up and do things the best way one knows how to and expect wonderful results. A rapper must play by the rules of engagement, coupled with his or her own unique sense of style: Let’s face it, some uniqueness can’t do you any harm.

 Recently, artistes have been walking away from contracts they signed with their record label. As a record label executive, what do you think is the cause of these break-ups and how can they be avoided?

These things happen. It is symptomatic of some of the unprofessionalism in the industry, currently. However, as stakeholders in the industry, we owe it to ourselves to ensure that the concept of professionalism is understood and adhered to.

What influences your sound and style as an artiste?

Musical influences: Lauryn Hill, Bob Marley, Jay-Z, DMX and a couple of others. As for what influences my sound and style, sometimes, it depends solely on a unique purpose or project. By this, I mean that the sound, style and lyrical structure of a song I want to record are dependent on the reason for which the song was created in the first place.

Sometimes, it could be the message that I’m passing in a song that determines the style. Again, there’s a whole lot of ‘me’ in my style and sound.

Your label mate and colleague Ice Prince recently won BET’s best International Act award. What does this mean for/to you, Chocolate City and Nigerian music?

To me, it means that my brother is doing big things (Ice Prince) is like family to me, so it means the family is heading to the top. As for Chocolate City, it means CC is taking over, so everyone had better watch out (laughs so hard). For Nigerian music, it means that more room is being created for bigger things. It means that there are positions out there through which we can make our stand. It also means that Nigerian music is not to be taken lightly at all.

As one who has collaborated with a lot of Nigerian and international acts, which unlikely person would you most love to work with in the future?

‘Unlikely’ is what I have a problem with. But, maybe, Jay Z could be on the horizon. If I say I may want to work with Michael Jackson or Kurt Cobain, now that’s unlikely; or is it impossible?

 Your third album is titled Chairman. What inspired this title and which artiste will you be featuring?

I’m at the stage of my life where people address me in a particular manner everywhere I go or find myself. At a point, for some reason, every place I find myself in (home and abroad), people by saying “Hey, Chairman,” or “Ah, Chairman”. So, it just stuck and I decided: “Hey, let’s ride with this”.

 You were a fantastic judge and mentor on the recently concluded reality singing show Glo XFactor. How do you feel when given such a task involving such emotional highs and lows and a competition packed with so much talents?

First of all, I am grateful for the privilege, because when you are called upon to judge musical talents, it is as if they are telling you that they acknowledge your knowledge of music and that they are saying ‘we would welcome your opinion on this matter’. Being given such a task felt like being entrusted with making or breaking peoples’ dreams. But being chosen felt good, as if I could hear them saying ‘you are the man for this job’.

Presently, what songs do you constantly listen to in your car?
If I’m not jamming my Jay Z albums, then I’m tuned into the radio just bumping to all the Naija tracks. I do this because you hear a monster jam on one station and before you know it there’s another station playing another one.

What are your travel essentials?
A very good book, sunglasses, headphones.

What is your most memorable musical moment?

I’m not even sure there’s just one. I mean, you’ve got to give me a big sheet of paper and wait for the longest list ever. That said, so far, it’s been an amazing ride and the moments have all been numerous.
  
Who is MI Abaga?
He’s the Chairman!

More Photos :






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: Comments on this blog are the uninfluenced thoughts and opinions of blog readers.

For advertising or other relevant enquiries: Call: +234 708 819 7609, +234 703 781 7240
Email: enquiries@naijacreative.com, ads@naijacreative.com





Go To

2013 Ford Edge 2face About Me Absurd Affordable Clothing Line for Babies AKI Aliko Dangote Aluu Angela Okorie Annie Idibia Anti-gay Bill APC Arrest Awards AY Baby Bump Best Hair Best Makeup Beyonce Bikinis Birthday Bizzare Leather Balloon Shorts Bovi Bow Wow Business By NC Reader Career Chantel Jeffries Charly Boy Chigul Chika Ike Clarion Chukwurah Crazy Crime D'banj D'Prince David Beckham David McIntosh Davido Davos Dencia DJ Xclusive Don Jazzy Drake Bell Ebola Education Egor Efoik Entertainment Facebook Is 10 Fashion & Style February Flavour Folarin Freeze CoolFM Funny Genevieve Ghandhour Cosmetics Gh Gossip Grammys IK Ogbonna Ill Persons Indie Arie Ini Edo Interview Iyanya JayZ Jessica White Jimmy Jatt Joan Rivers Justin Bieber Kanye West Kate Henshaw Katherine Gazda Katy Perry Kcee Kelly Brook Kendall Jenner Keri Hilson Kim Kardashian Klaus Lifestyle Lil Kim Limpopo Linda Ikeji Lorde Lupita Nyong'o Magazines Maheeda Matilda Me Meraiah Michelle Obama Michelle Williams Miley Cyrus Mini Skirt Miracle Miscellaneous Movie Ms Kedike Musik Nadia Nadia Buhari National New Music Video News Nicki Minaj nikiz collections Nollywood North West Nun Okey Bakassi Ola Jordan Olamide Omosexy Open Letter Oprah Winfrey Orezi Osaze Paris Hilton Paul Okoye Paul Walker Pete Edochie Peter Okoye Photos Phyno Playboy Playmate Poem Politics Psquare Queen Nwokoye Racism Raquel Rented Boyfriend Rihanna Rita Dominic Rukky Sanda Scam Selena Gomez Serge Ibaka Shakira Skales Skin Care Sports Stella Dimoko-Korkus Suicide Taylor Swift Tee Billz The 5 Maidens Of Honour The Originals The Rock Timaya Tiwa TMZ Toke Makinwa Tonto Dike Touching Life Story TV Uti Nwachukwu Valentine Vanity Fair Wande Coal Whitenicious Wiz Khalifa Wizkid Yetunde Akilapa Yvonne Nelson